Free Consultation Service
The consultation service is free of charge for members of the Charité and affiliated institutions.
You are here:
Confirmation by an accredited statistician for "doctorate by publication"
If you are planning a doctoral project that includes a relevant statistical part, and if you wish to do your doctorate by means of a monograph, you must submit a certificate from a statistician accredited to the Doctoral Commission along with your application for the opening of the doctoral procedure, stating that the type and scope of statistical processing is sufficient (Section 8 (2)a PO 2017).
The scientific staff of the Institute of Biometry and Clinical Epidemiology are recognized as accredited statisticians by the doctorial office. The consultation service of the Institute's Biometrics Service Unit is explicitly recommended.
- If you make use of the free statistical consultation service of the Service Unit during your research work, the Institute of Biometry Clinical Epidemiology will issue a corresponding confirmation upon request. Please make an appointment online in good time, as the availability of appointments depends on the current demand.
- Ideally, you should arrange a consultation at the beginning of your doctoral project, i.e. in the planning phase, and a follow-up appointment in the implementation or evaluation phase. At the first consultation appointment please bring the copy of your doctoral agreement confirmed by the doctoral office.
- The content of any consultation will be documented. At the end of the consultation, the consultant of the Service Unit Biometry will issue a confirmation of the accompanying statistical consultation. Please enclose this confirmation with your documents when you apply for the opening of your doctoral project.
- If you are planning a doctoral project using a monograph that does not include a relevant statistical part (for example, in a purely humanities-based project), please indicate this in the appropriate section of the doctoral agreement. You will be exempted from the obligation to submit a confirmation in accordance with Section 8 (2)a PO 2017.
- If you wish to do your doctorate by submitting publications (publication doctorate), you are generally not required to submit the certificate in accordance with Section 8 (2)a PO 2017. Statistical advice is nevertheless recommended.
Range of Services
During the planning phase of a medical research project:
General statistical consulting on study planning, in particular on
- selection of the study design,
- selection of appropriate primary and secondary endpoints,
- definition of the analysis sets (Intention-to-Treat, Per Protocol).
- consulting on the planned statistical evaluation strategy, in particular on
- formulation of hypotheses and test strategy for the primary endpoint,
- evaluation strategies for secondary endpoints and safety data
- der planning of interim evaluations and possible design adaptations
- correct and efficient handling of multiplicity,
- imputation of missing values,
- modelling and the consideration of confounder
- consulting and execution of case number calculations and power analysis
- consulting on the choice of suitable statistical analysis software
- consulting on general questions of data management and data documentation
Support in the preparation of applications for third-party funding and ethics committees, in particular
- the formulation of the statistical parts of ethics applications, study protocols and third-party funding applications,
- general comments and opinions on ethics applications, study protocols and applications for third-party funding,
- the cost calculation for biometric procedures within the scope of medical third-party funding applications.
In the implementation phase of a medical research project:
Advice on dealing with problems during data collection, such as
- recruitment problems
- missing values
- incorrect planning assumptions
- upport on questions regarding data management
In the evaluation phase of a medical research project:
- help for self-help in the evaluation of projects with independent data evaluation
- support and advice on the adequate use of software
- support on the interpretation of the results
- support in the general reporting and the publication of the results (co-authorship of the Institute for substantial participation)
How to get an appointment?
Please register by use of our online form
To register, you need to identify yourself as eligible by using your official e-mail account (email@example.com, @bih.de, @mdc.de). Since November 2017, Doctoral students need to be matriculated at the Charité. This matriculation includes access to Charité e-mail services.
- your details will be recorded to our internal database for documentation and administrative purposes.
- you will be assigned a consultant depending on your subject as well as on your requests made concerning consultant and location
- your consultant will then contact you shortly, usually within 10 working days, and arrange for an appointment.
How do I prepare for the consultation?
Do I need consultation?
- We recommend a biometric consultation for all medical research projects, if possible already during the planning phase. In particular, we recommend biometric consulting for doctoral theses.
- Studies that must be approved by either Charité's Ethics Committee or LAGeSo Ethics Committee (AMG studies, MPG studies) require the mandatory participation of a biometrician. Our staff have extensive experience both in drafting ethics proposals as well as statistical members of various ethics committees.
Please note: Biometric consulting does not mean taking responsibility for the entire project biometrics. Taking responsibility needs to be covered by a cooperation agreement with corresponding counter-financing.